April 10, 2015

Friday Five: Empowering Women

Today is the day we've been working towards all year...RELAY FOR LIFE AT UVA! I am so blessed to be a part of such an amazing organization for such an incredible cause. Together, we are finding a cure for cancer and helping those who already have cancer. If you go to UVA, come out to Carrs Hill tonight for tons of entertainment, food, and to support the cause, and don't forget, walking a lap is on the 115 Things to do Before You Graduate list! You can register at the event, and if you want to donate to my personal fundraiser, here is the link to my page!
Today's Friday Five is themed to women empowerment. This is not the first time I have talked about women leaning in (thank you, Sheryl Sandberg) or going after what they want, and it won't be the last. I believe in gender equality and empowering each other. I hope y'all enjoy these links as much as I did!

One: Vote for Kayleigh Roy
I don't normally do these, so you know it's a big deal that I want you to do this, but please take a quick minute to vote for my friend and sorority sister, Kayleigh in the Challenge Detroit  Fellowship. She is a talented Urban and Environmental Planning major who has been interning for VDOT since last July in the Virginia Center for Transportation Innovation. Here's a quick word from her on the challenge and why she deserves to win it (which she does):
"I was recently selected as a semi-finalist for the Challenge Detroit Fellowship which is a program that brings professionals into the shrinking city of Detroit to promote positive social and economic change and development. I am so excited about this opportunity. I even halted my job search for next year to solely pursue this fellowship. Please take the time to go to this link, like this page, and then make sure to click VOTE for my video! The voting runs through this Sunday, April 12 at 11:59pm so please take a second to help me out. It would mean the world to me to have your support and vote of confidence in showing Detroit how passionate I am about bringing about change in their valuable community."
Also, she has a great post on LinkedIn about this, so check that out, too! On that note, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn!
Two: Ladies Who Laptop
Here is another inspiring woman who started a business I am really interested in. I love their phone cases and other accessories. It's always so interesting reading about entrepreneurs and how they got started. Does anyone else want to be an entreprenuer? I seriously cannot think of a better career than starting my own business. #Ask4More

Three: 10 Steps to Executive-Level Confidence
First of all, you know this WSJ post was going to be good because it uses a picture of Miranda Priestly, which is one of my all-time favorite Meryl Streep roles. I found this article to be really great and not too corny, which tends to happen in a lot of these articles. Don't get me wrong, I still read articles about stuff like this to reinforce those ideas, but I really liked this one and am leaving it bookmarked.

Four: Here's What Happens When Women Choose to Call Themselves Beautiful
Say what you want about Dove and their campaigns, but I think they are wonderful. It can be so hard to remember self-worth in a world where photoshopped models plaster billboards and magazines every day. Yesterday I got a text from a co-worker that totally caught me off guard that said "You are so beautiful, you also need a beautiful toe." Obviously, the toe comment was in reference to my surgery, but I was so touched by her sweet words. I am not great about remembering my self-worth and value, but it's something I work on and these campaigns really remind me to do that. #ChooseBeautiful

Five: Notorious RBG on Women in the Supreme Court
First of all, I really want one of those shirts. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is a powerful woman who anyone can look up to. I believe that young women should look to women in power as inspiration regardless of political parties. Being a republican does not mean that I am not inspired by her journey to her position. Think about it, she was a woman going through Law School in the 1950s, that was no small feat at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...